Saturday, June 3, 2023

Modern Ranch Trucks in Use.

If you watch a "modern" Western, to the extent I do so, which is very rarely as they irritate me, chances are you'll find at least some of the ranchers in them driving fairly old trucks.  Maybe Yellowstone, which I haven't watched and will not watch, doesn't do this.

Anyhow, that's only partially been the case in my lifetime. When I was young, and well into my adult years, lots of ranches kept a flat fender style Dodge Power Wagon.  That's no longer the case. They didn't lose their utility, they just became collectors items, and working ranches don't use collectors items of any kind.  They sell them.

Having said that, lots of old trucks remain on ranches for specified uses, some as old as the Power Wagons that went into collectors' hands.  But for daily use, of every type, almost every working ranch has a relatively new flatbed pickup.  Here's a good selection of them from recent brandings.

Every truck depicted here is relatively new, and they're all automatic transmissions as well. Every one.



Indeed, amongst stockmen, I’m the only one I know that drives a manual and lacks an automatic transmission.


All of these trucks are, additionally, diesels. Every single one.  Mine included.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Union Pacific Hi-rail Truck.

  For reasons I can't really explain, perhaps due to a fondness for all things rail, I've always thought motor vehicles adapted to r...